Thursday, August 7, 2014

Some Knitty Gritty! (blog hop)


Ha, finally I can show you my finished Lady Sweater: Tadaa!!! Just in time for my trip to visit my family in The Netherlands in a few weeks time, where it is much cooler than over at this end. (we've had the a/c on two days in a row, yes, we live in the Pacific Northwest!)

I used a very simple and not expensive acrylic worsted weight yarn from Lion Brand called 'Heartland - Mount Rainier', isn't that fitting? Unfortunately I ran out of this color with only 10 more rows to go in the last sleeve. Since I didn't have time for a few days to go to the store, I decided to knit up this very quick hat for Mr. G. (although modeled here by Master C.) You can find the free pattern here.



I used the same yarn as above, only in the 'Smoky Mountains' colorway. The pattern only came in one size and I must admit it is tad bit roomy so for the next time I would knit fewer stitches but otherwise it was super easy and fun to make!

--  **  --  **  --

So yesterday I was tagged by fellow blogging friend Katie from Randomnest in a blog hop! My first thought was "Holy Cow!" (pun intended). I've never done any of these kind of short interviews before and I find it a bit scary to be honest. Here it goes:

#1 What have been the doings/makings/scribblings at your desk over the past week or so?
Well, the summer months are a bit low on creativity I must admit. The kids are home for three (high school) and almost four months (university) and since my husband works in education he has the whole month of July off. This basically means that I have no alone time during those months, which is when I produce most. (during that alone time I mean) (oh boy, I'm rambling already...)


I've been busy knitting, as you can see from the photos above, and I did start sewing a sleeveless blouse but that has actually ended up in the bin (first time ever I think!) since I didn't have enough fabric and the fiddling with extra fabric just didn't work out. I painted a few furniture items and I also repainted our bedroom and then sewed up some new curtains, so all and all that is pretty creative right?


#2 Where are you currently finding your inspiration?
My fellow bloggers of course!!! I follow quite a few blogs as you can tell from my side bar here on the blog. I started knitting in the Fall and have now added a whole category of knitting bloggers. Some of my favorites are: Fringe AssociationKate DaviesUntangling Knots and Brooklyn Tweed, but not to forget our local yarn store of course -Tolt Yarn & Wool.
I don't read a lot of magazines because the internet is basically one big one!

#3 How important is being creative to you and how do you blend this with your work/life/family balance?
I simply am creative every single day, in one form or another. I just love to make and or create something. Not only physically making something but also 'just' visually with my photography. I bought an I-Phone this Spring and am having fun with some of the photo editing software in it. I do feel that my daily life has to be in order for any creativity to sprout, so right now I'm cleaning out closets (my clothing closet for one, but also the pantry) and am reorganizing a bit. That makes my head feel clearer and gives me more room (in my head) to think of something new to make.

Well, that was about it. I will leave you with this picture I snapped the other day while shopping at a nearby Outlet Mall: I so want a cow like that for my back yard!  <wink>

To be clear here, it is a statue, not a real cow!
{smile}

PS Oops, I almost forgot to tag somebody for the next blog hop. (I hope they don't mind???) May I present to you Janina from Elke Dag Zaterdag ("every day Saturday") and Nina Nixon. Both are very creative in their own ways and I enjoy reading their posts every single time...

7 comments:

  1. Je cardigan is mooi !!!
    Enne, waarom geen echte koe in je tuin ;-) ? Toch veel leuker dan een nepkoe ? Hihi....

    ReplyDelete
  2. mooi Marjan! Heb ook genoten van het 'interview'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I Absolutely Love you new sweater! I know the yarn that you are talking about, so nice to see a project made from it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sweater looks fantastic on you! I actually started one of those about 4 years ago and it's sitting, half-knit, in a bag somewhere. I should probably find it. I think I stopped mine because I figured out that it was too big halfway through. Your fit is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we were "tagged" by Katie too.
    just looking at all the links she included on the "blog hop"......so thought i would say hello.
    now going to look at your links, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look so good in that outfit! No wonder you run with such pretty countryside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love everything! Especially the curtains. I thought that I would get on the sewing machine this summer, but it's just not happening because a lot of other stuff is, and that's ok. Thanks for joining! Off to check out Elke Dag Zaterdag!

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful to hear from you!

And Then There Were Two...