Thursday, May 17, 2012

Some More Sewing...


A little while back I was able to buy this pink flowery fabric for $1.95 the yard at Fabric.com so I bought three yards. I just wanted to try out sewing with very light weight fabric for a change and now I know: quite a pain! 
It rips easily and the seams just don't look that crisp. Having said all that, it feels awfully soft and drapes really nice so I might try one more project with since I still have a ton left. Not now though, I feel like working with my regular cottons again...

Anyway, about this summer top.  You can see I had some trouble at the arm openings and I have shown you the before (with the orange bias tape) and the after (no bias tape, just folded back and sewn down,: ok on the outside, just plain ugly on the inside). <wink>
I'm really loving the ric-rac detail on the front and back yokes. That gives it a more vintage-y feel, don't you think?

--  **  --  **  --

On the birdies front: we now have FIVE confirmed eggs in the nest (and maybe two more buried a little lower down) and Penny has been sitting on the nest just about the whole time. Poor Howard, he is looking a bit lonely. He does do his part too though and sits on the eggs when it is time for Penny to take a break...
I was obviously not thinking straight when I bought a pair of Zebra Finches. What on earth are we going to do with all these birds??? We will either have to give some of the birds away (that shouldn't be a problem: all of Miss M.'s friends want one!) but also for the future we need to keep the sexes separated! Oh boy oh boy...


In the mean time our neighbor's cat is having the time of his life in our front yard and underneath the bird feeder. He loves to hide under the Japanese Maple (which grows very low to the ground) and prowl for some lunch. Thank goodness I have not yet seen him actually catching anything. The feeder and the Maple are right in front of my office window so I have a good view of all the action. This is also the spot from which I took the Gold Finch picture yesterday by the way...

Right, time to think about my next sewing project!  {smile}

3 comments:

  1. Ziet er goed uit die top!
    Hihihi, ja dat gedoe met mannetjes en vrouwtjes heb ik eens gehad met gerbils.... 2 keer een nestje van 6 gehad...daarna het mannetje maar laten castreren (och arme!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top looks great (and I won't tell anybody about the inside if you don't :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That top's adorable! And good luck with the eggs. Maybe you can sell/give them to a pet shop?

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful to hear from you!

And Then There Were Two...