Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I've Been Hit Again...

"SEATTLE – Have the winter blues extended into Spring?
Doctors at Swedish Hospital in Seattle believe there is an “uptick” in people suffering from seasonal affective disorder, due to the extending string of rain and clouds.
“We know it’s very real, very true, and very disabling,” says Dr. Lina Fine, who specializing in diagnosing the disorder, and sleep medicine. “It affects people with no known mental illnesses, in the dark months,” and with this year, “they can just not get out of the rut.”
Fine says low fatigue, energy, irritability, and difficulty sleeping are all side effects from the disorder. Drinking several cups of coffee is considered a no-no. She often prescribes small doses of melatonin and Vitamin D, in addition to light exposure to combat SAD.
Nearly 10 percent of people in the Puget Sound, according to Fine, suffer from some form of the disorder, and that’s nearly 10 times the amount of people who live in Florida."

I just came across this little piece on King 5 (a local news station) and thought: Hey, they're talking about me!
I always show you all the fun pictures etc., but oh boy, once in a while this dark cloud creaps up and it is so difficult to get rid of it. I do have to admit though that since I've started blogging I've been feeling MUCH better so Thank You! (smile)

Little Bit Barn Aisle

I'll be spending another day outside with work both in the yard and at Little Bit and maybe even a trip to Flower World, a ginormous nursery about 40 minutes away from here. That should give me plenty of Vitamin D to get me going again right? Just in case, I've turned on my special lamp again for some light therapy...


4 comments:

  1. I went from that to this 5 inches of snow last night I feel I get more blue up here with all the snow snow snow...It never seems to leave...o.k there my rant is over Seattle is a very gloomy place I know and when the Sun finally comes out it's magical! I love the sweet ponies face peaking through, sweet.
    Have a grand day in the garden Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 inches Heidi??? That is just plain awful!
    I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning , feeling a bit sore from all the work yesterday as well, so that is not helping either. Things will sort itself out...
    Thanks for your good wishes though! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this time of the year, many people suffer from the lack of light and are treated in special "lightrooms"here in Sweden. So you are far from alone...
    I am so pleased to hear that blogging has helped you! That's wonderful! I have found so many new incredible friens in my blogg, so I am so thankful!
    Have a nice day!
    Kram, Monica

    ReplyDelete
  4. many miles away
    in a land called
    northern france
    i can surely
    relate to this
    disorder
    grey skys and
    humidity
    make misery
    if only spring
    was eternal
    may the
    sun shine bright
    linda
    ...

    ***
    of me

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful to hear from you!

And Then There Were Two...