Saturday, January 22, 2011

Utrecht...

This is the last town I lived in when I was still living in The Netherlands. It is located about 30 minutes south of Amsterdam. In the 4 years there I think I must have moved 4 times. The last location was in Wittevrouwen, for those in the know.
Everything was either walking or bicycling distance. I went grocery shopping almost every day since you can’t carry a lot on your bike or whilst walking. Fortunately we had small neighborhood grocery right underneath our building and we also had the butcher and fresh vegetable guy in the same street.
I don’t know if those small family shops are still there or not. I guess I will find out when I go visit again this summer. (it has been 6 years!)


I don’t really suffer from homesickness (I left NL in ’89). Because of modern day technology I probably have more contact with everyone there now than 20 years ago. But I do miss all the old buildings and the history of it all. (and the food!!!)You just don’t get much of that here in the USA…





PS Photos borrowed from www.weerfotos.nl

1 comment:

  1. Utrecht sounds like a nice town, not to big and with a lot of small shops where you can buy your food. I like that! I hope, that it is the same when you visit this summer!
    Monica

    ReplyDelete

How wonderful to hear from you!

And Then There Were Two...